Hello there everyone, I hope you’ve all been having a wonderful time.
In this post, I’d like to talk about the art of overtaking safely. I do most of my driving in Lagos (one great place to drive) and I see a lot of people barely escaping accidents because they planned poorly for an overtake.
A few things to keep in mind when making a pass:
1) Give ample distance between yourself and the car in front of you. Gives allowance for braking and allows you to see and plan ahead.
2) Make it a habit to make your pass on the left.
3) Always look several cars ahead and check all your mirrors, ensure you are not cutting in front of anyone.
4) Never overtake on a bend or on a steep or slope, you won’t see the oncoming vehicle until its too late.
5) When you get a good opening, don’t waste time, throw it down a gear or 2 and gas it. Overtake quickly.
6) Be very decisive and act fast, a 2 or 3-second delay could greatly increase the risk involved in an overtaking process.
7) Look beyond the car in front of you (traffic lights, bus stops, pedestrians crossing the road, a speed bump, a pothole, an oncoming vehicle, etc). These factors can greatly affect the safety of your overtake.
In order to hone your skills and instincts travel with an experienced driver, look at how they drive and the way they make their judgments because frankly, these things are really hard to teach.
I hope this piece helps all of us drive safer and avoid accidents hence adding more life to your car.
Have nice day folks.
P.S.: To those who drive slowly in front of other drivers do your best to stay in one lane(avoid meandering) and I beg you in the name of all things holy “DO NOT START SPEEDING UP WHEN ANOTHER DRIVER WANTS TO PASS YOU”.